Sunday, September 21, 2008

Lonely Desolation

Well, just recently I have been hired at my local McDonald's (Which means I get the lovely chance at posting about stupid customers! YAY!). Now of course there isn't much wrong in serving food in a fast manner. Nor is there any interest in a mundane work place.

However my previous job has been, let's say, a little bit more on the interesting side. While McDonald's is somewhat boring, working for the evil known as Vector Marketing was quite the adventure.

However, what is Vector Marketing? Well, they are a sub company that works for Cutco. Cutco makes knives and Vector sells them, much like Bungie did for Microsoft for the halo games. Nothing out of the ordinary. Yet.
What I did was call up people I knew and gave them the whole spiel and sold knives. Also nothing strange. If I didn't make a sale I'd still get a flat rate of $14.95. Ok, that's a plus. After that I'd have those people make a list of other people and call them. I'd make an appointment and do it all over again.

Here's the first flag. I didn't get my first paycheck in full when they said I'd get it. In fact I got the rest of it almost a week later. When I asked about this they said it was a way to promote more sales in the seller. I asked other Reps about this and they said that they got their checks in full. In fact I was the only person to not get their check in full. Did my boss lie to me, I think so. I may be wrong. It could have been a mistake, but even then he still would have been lying to me.
Second flag. You get no peace or day off. You are supposed to call them every day between 6 and 8. If you don't call, they call you. This is supposed to take place of showing up at the office everyday.
Third flag, my boss encuraged us to work at a second job if we wanted to. So when I half heartedly applied at Target (I did it because I had to take a friend there who wanted to apply and I had nothing better to do. They wanted an interview with me and I turned it down because my friend really wanted the job and I didn't, I also had a job already) my boss didn't like that and thought I wanted to quit. I said that I had no intention of quiting (At that time I didn't) and no intention of even taking the job at Target. He still thought that I had betrayed him, the guy who said on day one that people take second jobs all the time.

So when I filled out my application for McDonald's I almost decided not to put Vector on there. I did anyway. I couldn't remember the address or phone number so I went to look it up online at there website. I couldn't even find the name of my old boss there. They had a picture of each regional office and on the one my boss should have been in wasn't even there (Or rather I couldn't even make out any of the faces and couldn't tell if he was there due to the incredible low resolution of the image).

So yeah, that was a fun expirience all in all. I could almost rename this entire site to Lesson of the Day bassed off of some of my more stupid expiriences, but I won't.


Soup of the Day: Cheeseburger Stew.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear some stories about stupid customers; I'm sure there will be plenty lol

Kinda sucks that you had to give up the interesting job for the boring job but it will get better. You should get free lunch (like a burger and soda) for working there!

Anonymous said...

I worked for 4 years Vector Marketing but did not think it was evil. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. Have fun at McDonald's and don't forget not to say "supersize!" Have you seen that movie? I like McDonald's but... ewww!!!